Mo Kolours - Bakiraq (EP:1 - Drum Talking)


One-Handed Music has become one of my favourite labels coming out of the UK at the moment. Here we have the debut release from their new artist Mo Kolours entitled EP1: Drum Talking. I'm only going to hype one track off his 8 track EP as an incentive to check the rest on his bandcamp over at mokolours.bandcamp.com. The track is called 'Bakiraq' and reminds me of times my Ma would play Sega music when I was a wee lad. Mo Kolours, like myself, is half-Mauritian so you know I had to show love.

"Witness this debut EP by the half-Mauritian percussionist & singer Mo Kolours, which unites an array of more familiar influences with the Sega music of his island roots. The rhythms lead the way here, whether the straight percussive workout of Drum Talking or the crafty vocal manipulation that drives the low-slung bump of Biddies, a song that traces an imaginary line between Theo Parrish and Gonjasufi. Dead of Night mines the symbolism of The Beatles’ outwardly chirpy Blackbird while his own Bakiraq (like Burt, the songwriter) resembles a soul classic pieced together from fragments around the flickering light of a fire." - One-Handed Music

No comments:

Post a Comment